- An award-winning writer/filmmaker, Douglas K. Dempsey is a founding partner of DKDMedia with Karen Thorsen. Their first collaboration was THE FED, a behind-the-scenes exploration of America’s financial system; it won a Cine Golden Eagle. Their second joint effort was JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET, a feature-length biography which won awards all over the world and is now considered a classic. Recently restored and re-mastered in WideScreen 2K HD, the new “digital BALDWIN” is the centerpiece of their Outreach & Engagement initiative, Conversations with Jimmy.
- On his own, Dempsey wins awards as well. As a narrative story editor, his credits include both award-winning feature films (for Producer Steven Haft and Director John Avildsen) and IMAX productions – among them, LIVING PLANET, FLYERS (both produced for the Smithsonian’s Air & Space Museum) and SHACKLETON’S ANTARCTIC ADVENTURE (winner, Best Film Award, 2005, Big Screen Association).
- Dempsey has also worked extensively in museum media – often in collaboration with Dennis Earl Moore Productions and Christopher Chadbourne & Associates. Credits include the Mystic Aquarium’s DIVE THEATER, the Smithsonian Institution’s PRICE OF FREEDOM, and the GREAT PLATTE RIVER ROAD ARCHWAY MONUMENT in Nebraska. For a full decade, Dempsey was Media Content Creator / Co-Producer of DISCOVER THE REAL GEORGE WASHINGTON: two multi-media theaters, an animation film and assorted AV programs for the Museum & Education Center at George Washington’s Estate in Mount Vernon (winner, THEA Award). Subsequently, he was Content & Media Developer for the North Carolina Museum of History. His ONE SMALL CANDLE – a documentary film history of the Pilgrims and their Native neighbors, made in partnership with Karen Thorsen – has recently become a permanent installation at Pilgrim Hall Museum in Plymouth, MA.
- In addition, Dempsey has been honored as a writer and editor. His scripts have been produced by CBS Mystery Theater, National Geographic and The Learning Channel. His documentary narration for KEEPERS OF EDEN, a film about the Huaorani tribe in Ecuador, was performed by Joanne Woodward. Most recently, he was Writer / Editor of BURIED PRAYERS, a feature-length film about the buried treasure of Maidanek, a Nazi death camp for Polish Jews. A story of defiance and redemption, it was narrated by artist Laurie Anderson and won Best Documentary Feature at the Cinequest Film Festival.
- Other collaborations with Thorsen include two works-in-progress: PEACEJAM: CHANGE STARTS HERE, a series of web-based shorts and longer-form docs about teenage activists mentored by Nobel Laureates – and THOMAS PAINE: VOICE OF REVOLUTION, a feature-length documentary & multi-media museum exhibit. Recently designated a “We The People” project by the National Endowment for the Humanities. PAINE has received both Development and Scripting grants from the NEH.
- Thorsen and Dempsey are Co-Directors of the James Baldwin Project, whose primary funders include the Ford Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts and Stan & Joanne Marder.
- Douglas K. Dempsey -
Writer / Producer / Director
JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET
. . . . . . .